Last modified: July 22, 2021
In this policy we describe the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you use our website and/or other online platforms (collectively, the “Platform”) and our practices for collecting, using, protecting, and disclosing that information.
Children Under the Age of 18
The Platform is not intended for children under 18 years of age and you are not allowed to use the Platform or provide information on it if you are under 18 years of age. If we learn we have received personal information from or about a child under 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information immediately. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 18, please contact us immediately at email@example.com.
If you are based in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) you may only use the Platform if you are over the age at which you can provide consent to data processing under the laws of your country or if verifiable parental consent for your use of the Platform has been provided to us.
Information We Collect And How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of the Platform, including:
- Information by which you may be personally identified, such as name, phone number, e-mail address, drivers license number, and physical address or components thereof (city, zip code, county, etc.);
- Information that is about you but on its own does not individually identify you, such as age, household type, utility provider, and gender;
- Information about your job, such as company/employer name, job title, income, and office location;
- Information that you voluntarily enter, such as your responses to interest-based survey questions;
- Information that is ascertained through our use of third-party applications, including but not limited to your user behavior and trends;
- Information related to your social media accounts; and/or
- Information about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access the Platform, and Platform usage details.
We collect this information:
- First, directly from you when you provide it to us, such as entering your information into a questionnaire provided to you on the Platform or giving us your information at an in-person or online event.
- Second, we collect generic information about your usage and equipment automatically as you navigate through the Platform, such as usage details, IP addresses, web browser preferences, and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies. Although we do not correlate tracking information to individuals, some information collected, such as IP addresses, will be unique.
Do Not Track Settings
The Company does not track its customers over time and across third party websites to provide targeted advertising, and therefore does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. However, some third party websites track your browsing activities when you use their websites so that they can tailor their content to your preferences. If you are visiting such sites, your web browser may allow you to set the DNT signal on your browser so that third parties (particularly advertisers) know you do not want to be tracked.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us:
- To develop, provide, and improve the Platform and its services to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us, including follow-up outreach after events.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, such as for billing and collection.
- To improve the Platform and our services.
- To notify you about changes to the Platform or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To create and improve on databases and other data sets for our use and our clients’ use.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information, such as to allow third parties to follow up with you when you have requested that they do so.
Sharing and Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
We may disclose personal information that we collect or you provide:
- To our subsidiaries, affiliates, non-profit partners, and funding partners.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business, including, but not limited to, Google Analytics, Qualtrics, Livestorm, WordPress, Zoho, and Events Calendar.
- To other organizations that hire us to analyze and organize data.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of the Company’s assets.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us your email address so that one of our partners can contact you, we will give that partner your email address.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- To third party contractors in order to analyze Platform performance and user behavior and/or to improve the Platform.
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of the Company, our customers, or others.
Legal Basis for Processing and Retaining Your Data
In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person. If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
We retain your information as long as we have your consent and an ongoing legitimate business interest to process your personal information. After this retention period elapses at the reasonable determination of the Company, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax, or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Choices About Your Information
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You may send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct, or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
Your Data Protection Rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) provides consumers with specific rights regarding their Personal Information. If you are a California resident, you have the right to:
- Request we disclose to you free of charge the following information covering the 12 months preceding your request: (a) the categories of Personal Information about you that we collected; (b) the categories of sources from which the Personal Information was collected; (c) the purpose for collecting Personal Information about you; (d) the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed Personal Information about you and the categories of Personal Information that was disclosed (if applicable) and the purpose for disclosing the Personal Information about you; and (e) the specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you;
- Request we delete Personal Information we collected from you, unless the CCPA recognizes an exception;
- If the business sells Personal Information, you have a right to opt-out of that sale.
Consistent with California law, if you choose to exercise your applicable CCPA rights, we won’t charge you different prices or provide you a different quality of services. If we ever offer a financial incentive or product enhancement that is contingent upon you providing your Personal Information, we will not do so unless the benefits to you are reasonably related to the value of the Personal Information that you provide to us. If you are a California resident and wish to exercise your rights under the CCPA, please contact us at email@example.com.
Transferring your information
The Company is a worldwide service. By using the Platform, you authorize us to transfer and store your information outside your home country, including in the United States, for the purposes described in this policy. The privacy protections and the rights of authorities to access your information in these countries may not be the same as in your home country. We take additional measures when information is transferred from the European Economic Area (EEA). This includes having standard clauses approved by the European Commission in our contracts with parties that receive information outside the EEA. We also rely on European Commission adequacy decisions about certain countries, as applicable, for data transfers to countries outside the EEA.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access. For example, information you provide is encrypted through the Platform with Secure Socket Layer technology (SSL) and is also encrypted when it is stored by us to prevent unauthorized parties from viewing such information. Also, we perform regular malware scanning of the Platform and all servers and computers used by us to support the Platform. All Company employees are required to adhere to our security and confidentiality procedures and undergo training related to maintaining the security of user personal information.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to the Platform. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Platform.
You have options in relation to the information and data that we have about you. To exercise any of the options discussed below, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’re an EEA user, you may:
- Have your information corrected or deleted.
- Object to us processing your information. You can ask us to stop using your information, including when we use your information to send you marketing emails or push notifications. We only send you marketing material if you've agreed to it, but if you'd rather we don't, you can easily unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing emails we send you, or by emailing us at the email address above.
- Withdraw your consent for us to collect and process your personal information at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect the processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- Have the information you provided to us sent to another organization, where we hold this information with your consent or for the performance of a contract with you, where it's technically feasible.
- Complain to a regulator. If you're based in the EEA and think that we haven't complied with data protection laws, you have a right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commission in Ireland or with your local supervisory authority.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Third Party Links
The Platform may contain links that lead to other websites, and the Company is not responsible for the privacy practices, content, and/or activities of these linked websites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of the Platform and welcome any feedback about these external websites.
Organization and Contact Information
Data Protection Officer: email@example.com